When we started out Notesnook, our primary goal was to make a 100% private note taking app that was simple, fast, and complete. Little did we know that we'd be compared with Evernote --- a note taking app 20 years in the making.
After about a month and a half of battling with encryption, S3 APIs, bugs, and testing, we are finally here with version 1.6.0 --- a release that brings us very, very close to completeness.
Encrypted File Attachments
Encrypted attachments are fun. You can add any file from your device and be sure that no one can see it except you. With this release we are happy to announce that you can now attach any file, image, video or document in Notesnook.
We have built the attachments system in such a way that all your attachments are locally shared --- which means re-attaching the same file doesn't create a duplicate.
Every Notesnook Pro user will get unlimited file storage --- the only limit is that one file must be under 500 MB in total size.
One of the main capabilities of Notesnook is syncing and as many of you soon realized, it wasn't the best. There were a few problems that we addressed:
- Prior to v1.6.0 images were embedded into the note which meant that if you changed even a single character it'd reupload the whole note. A sure abuse of bandwidth and processing power. This is no longer the case --- all images are now added as attachments and sync independently from a note.
- Sync conflicts. Annoying, annoying, annoying, especially when they happen on the same device you are working on. With this release, we have improved the conflict detection logic to ensure a few things:
- No conflicts on the same device, ever.
- No conflicts when you have the same note opened on another device.
- No conflicts when you are working on a different note on another device.
- All conflicts that happen under a minute of each other will be automatically resolved.
- Faster syncing. While the automatic sync interval remains the same (5 seconds), the overall performance of syncing should be much better.
- We also tracked down and stopped unnecessary sync requests (causing majority of the sync conflicts) --- this will greatly reduce the bandwidth usage.
Take a Note from Notification Drawer
This release enables any user to take notes directly from their notification drawer. This is useful in cases where you want to quickly note down a phone number or an address without switching context.
Pin Notes to NotificationsAside from taking a note from the Notification Drawer, you can also pin any note to the Notification Drawer.
Share to Note
While it was possible to share anything to Notesnook before, it would always be added as a new note. This wasn't especially useful if you were taking notes, say, for a book or clipping information from the Internet. In this release, we have added the ability to append anything to any note from anywhere on your phone.
New Widgets on Android & iOS
With this release we have also added new Quick Note widgets for iOS & Android.
A more compact...compact mode
Let's be honest. The compact mode on the web & desktop version wasn't really compact at all. You could barely fit up to 10 notes on a single screen. With v1.6.0, the new compact mode allows you to easily fit upto 20 notes on a 1080p screen.
Try the new version
As always, all these features are 100% cross-platform. You can install our Android & iOS apps from their respective stores.
For desktop, you can go and download for your platform from our website.
For quickly trying out the new version, you can just use our web app.